Thursday, June 12, 2008

Juana La Loca


Elena Maria Vidal had an interesting post yesterday on Juana la Loca, sister of Catherine of Aragon and wife of Philip I of Castile, the first Hapsburg ruler of Spain. Elena Maria's post is a timely one, as historical novelist C.W. Gornter has a new novel on Juana, The Last Queen, coming out from Ballantine on July 29. I will be posting a review of The Last Queen and an interview with C.W. here closer to the publication date. In the meantime, you can check out C.W. Gortner's blog for some wonderful interviews with writers of historical fiction.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to this one! She's a great subject for a novel.

(apologies if this double posts. something went wrong the first time)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful portrait too. She looks thoughtful, not crazy at all. I too look forward to Christopher's novel.

Julianne Douglas said...

Lucy and Catherine,

From what I've read so far, you won't be disappointed!

Anonymous said...

I just recently became interested in knowing more about this woman. I've ordered a few biographies, and in the meantime, I am reading "The Scroll of Seduction," by Giovanna (?) Belli, a historical novel which jumps between Juana's life as experienced by her and as channeled by a modern-day young woman. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks for the blog and the comments!

Julianne Douglas said...

Louis,

Thanks for telling us about "The Scroll"--we'll be looking forward to your thoughts when you've finished. And I'm glad you like the blog--please come back often.